Gardening Tips and Tricks : Interesting Facts and Information About Organic Gardening
What is an organic garden?
An organic garden is grown and maintained using only natural fertilizers, fungicides and pesticides. No chemical are used whatsoever. Organic gardening also considers the earth and the environment. One should strive to replenish and nourish the soil.
What are the benefits of planting an organic garden?
* the food is fresher and tastes better
* it is better for the environment
* it is healthy and does not contain harmful chemicals
* it is cheaper than buying organic produce from your local market
What is compost tea and how does it benefit my organic garden?
* Compost tea is organic plant food
* It is made from steeping aged compost in water
* Fights off a number of plant diseases including molds, wilts and blights
* It is a great way to control insect infiltration
* Creates healthier plant environment by helping to grow beneficial bacteria in the soil
* diluted compost tea can be used as a foliar spray If you plan on purchasing compost be sure it isn’t too new. If the compost is too fresh it can burn the plants.
What are some great natural pesticidal and fungicidal recipes?
* Garlic & Onions – crush the garlic and onions and mix with vegetable oil. Works great as a fungicide, and it kills soft body insects * Hot Peppers – mixed with the garlic spray, it does a great job keeping rabbits away. It also kills soft body insects with the strength of the acidity
* Canola or Vegetable Oil – Pesticide must be diluted heavily with water or it will burn the plants (3/4 cup/gal H2O)
* Alcohol – Pesticide must be drastically diluted with water (1-3 Tbls /gal H2O)
* Apple Cider Vinegar – works as a mild fungicide and fertilizer (1-2 Tbls/gal H20)
* Corn Meal – works as an anti-fungal when put in compost tea
* Compost Teas – mild fungicide and helps control diseases
* Cloves – works as a repellent for flying insects (4-5 Tbls ground cloves/gal H2O)
* Mild Dish Soap – can paralyze insects on direct contact. Partners with compost teas by creating a sticky surface (1-2 cups/gal H2O
Some facts about organic gardening that you may find beneficial:
* Organic farming involves using insects in order to keep away other insects and pests. Lady bugs in the early spring for example will help you to get rid of spider mites, mealybugs, aphids, white flies e.t.c
* Plant disease can also be easily eliminated if you use organic products such as Eco oil, this will help you to keep insects at bay and get rid of those annoying bugs.
* Studies have also shown that pesticides can be very harmful to young children and can lead to long term health problems in both children and adults.