Gardening Tips and Tricks : How to Control Dollarweed (Pennywort) in Your Lawn
Living in a coastal area can be worrisome especially if you are exposed frequently to the sight of pennywort, which is also popularly known as Dollarweed. The main reason for its dense growth can be ascribed to the excessive moisture that is geographically inherent to such place. Other growth factors are poor soil and drainage, excessive irrigation and thin turf.
The first appearance may lead you to believe it to be as dichondra because that weed has similar shiny, round, and coin-shaped leaves. But, on closer inspection, you can spot the difference which is in their stem. The dichondra’s stem is attached at the leaf’s edge while dollarweed’s stem comes directly out of the leaf center.
The presence of excessive water in your garden either due to a lot of rain or irrigation or poor soil drainage causes pennywort’s invasion. A fact which you should know, as a gardener is that pennywort spreads with both media namely underground roots and seeds. You may find it unmanageable when you start the process of eradicating it.
1. Cover your Water Garden with Grass: A thick turf keeps the weeds at bay. You can create a healthy lawn environment by covering large portion with healthy grass. The presence of weeds will help you in identifying weak grass. Taking necessary steps such as treating diseases, soil problems, insect infestations and maintaining proper mowing height will help you in creating a balanced ecosystem devoid of pennywort and other weeds.
2. Improve Drainage: As stated earlier, dollar weed breeds in moist regions and one of the factors is clogged drainage. You can resort to aeration for improving the lawn drainage.
3. Reduce Irrigation or Accumulation of Still Water: For a prosperous and weed-free garden, you need to ensure that the garden receives at least one-inch of water weekly. You may use a rain gauge to measure the amount of water present in the region. If your garden is receiving more than this amount, reduce irrigation that will help prevent it from getting excessively moist. Else, the presence of excessive water will result in an unhealthy grass which will encourage propagating pennywort.
4. Hand-pull the Weeds: Some weeds are not notorious in the sense they require less physical labor and can be eliminated simply by pulling out manually. But, the hand pulling is feasible only when a small area is affected. Else, it may become tiresome. During this physical removal process, you also need to make sure that you are pulling the plant straight from its roots as otherwise they can regrow.
5. Herbicides: Still if you do not succeed in eliminating pennywort, you may resort to applying herbicides. This method is effective when you apply it while the weeds are growing. Pennywort is a common nuisance and it can be treated with Aquacide Pellets or Shore Klear Liquid directly on the leaves.